John Casablanca Modeling - John Casablancas IS a scam!!!

well I had been thinking about getting into acting or modeling. I sent out my picture to a few of the local talent agencies. The very next day I recieved an email from john casablancas. The email said they were currently looking for new models or potential actors and that I should contact them immediately. The very same day they called my cell phone. I dont know how they got my number, but I was excited that an agency had interest in me so quickly. They said they wanted me to come the very next day for an audition. I was so excited I couldnt refuse. It seemed like just the opportunity I was looking for.

So the next day I got all nervous thinking it was going to be a bigtime audition. When I got in there nobody was at the desk. Then finally this trashy looking lady came up to the desk and didnt even acknowledge me. She picked up the phone and totally ignored me. I was expecting for them to be waiting on me to get there. Then finally she hung up the phone and told me to sign in. Apparantly I wasnt the only one auditioning. I filled out a couple forms and she gave me a 5 sentance script that I was supposed to practice. I said "thats it?! seems really short?". At the top of the page it said "for ages 12+". I am 25 years old. So I waited for fifteen minutes and in the meantime about 20 people showed up for the audition. Most of them were little kids and their parents. So since I was first to get there I was first in line to go through the "audition". So first they lead me over to a "photo room" which was basically nothing but an empty room with a backdrop and a table in it. A "professional photographer" was going to take a few shots of me. I was suprised when she pulled out the camera and didnt even use a tripod. She then told me to get into a very odd pose and took 4 pictures. They looked like something I could have done at home.

Next quickly I was rushed to the second room. In this room was a cheap wooden runway and they were playing cheap britney spears music in the background. I sat there and practiced my script with all the other people until the "agent" came in. She was accompanied by two other young sleezy looking girls that were supposedly a professional movie director, a runway model, and a *** black guy that was supposedly a model also but his face looked like rocky road. So at this point I was suspicious, but the thought of my dreams coming true were too strong to have any doubt about anything. So they told me to first walk the runway, which I did. Then they had me read the script, which I did an amazing job at. So everyone else did the same thing and after everybody was done, she said that there would be people who wouldnt be called back. She said that they would need me to come back the very next day to discuss starting a modeling career. I was so excited.

So the very next day I went back and they still hardly even knew my name. The "agent" took me in her office and was very nice talking to me. She started talking about all the possibilities I could have, everything I could become, and how much money i was going to make. I got so excited that they were interested in "investing in me". But then she started talking about I would need to take classes before they could start marketing me and making money. I then found out that this would be a 10 month process and the course would end up costing $2200. She said that if I wanted to get started in my career that I would need to go and get $340 out of my bank account to get the registration and pay for books/supplies. I told her I just didnt have all that money. Then she said I could just pay $100 to get the registration done, and I could pay the other $240 on the day of the first class. Foolishly I agreed and paid her $100 cash. I didnt like the idea of paying her, but I though it would eventually pay off in the long run if I could find some good modeling jobs. My parents told me they were scamming me, but I couldnt accept that possibility.

After thinking about it I got online and did a search. I didnt even get the whole name typed in before "john casablancas scam" popped up in the search field. So I clicked on it and my dreams suddenly fell through the roof. I saw about a hundred scam stories. I immediately felt cheated and realized that everything my parents had said was true. I couldnt feel any stupider in my whole life. So today I went right up there and as soon as I walked in the office the "agent" said "let me guess you changed your mind?". She already knew what I was there for like she had already seen it a million times. I told her I wanted to cancel the contract. She said I would have to make it in writing so I took a piece of paper and wrote it down. She said that they had already took my money and made in into a cashiers check paying john casablancas. So then I would have to wait up to 45 days before I would recieve a refund from the corporate office. I asked her why because I had just given her the money not even 24 hours ago. She said it was because they dont keep any cash in the office at any time. She told me that I "completely wasted her time yesterday", and seemed like she wanted to argue with me or something about it. I dont even know this lady, I just wanted to cancel it and get out. So she made a copy of the cancellation letter and gave it to me, then said "goodbye". I never felt so cheated and violated in my whole life. Im just glad I got out before I gave them any more money, and that I cancelled the contract within the unusually short 3 day period so they cant keep my money. As long as the money comes in ill be fine, but if it doesnt come within 45 days im going to file a lawsuit. I dont care if it is just $100 dollars. A REAL modeling agency sent me an email yesterday and wants to speak with me soon. I did a full background check on them. So that makes me feel better. I will become something one day. JOHN CASABLANCAS IS A COMPLETE SCAM!!!! DO NOT EVER SPEND ONE SINGLE DIME THERE!!!!!! I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE JOHN CASABLANCA!!!!

More Review Details

Helpful? 177 Yes 177 546 No 546
Had the same issue 71 Yes 71
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 21 #1010316

Do you have to pay for anything on the first audition?

Jun 06 #991939

*** that agency they got me for almost1000 dollars and I only went to two classes they charge you without you knowing they are straight trifling and need to be locked up all of the scammers I want my money back *** that anyone else with me it's payback time

May 19 #986063

One huge question did you get your money back I have them 470 & I'm waiting for it back

JJcool

Jan 08 #927973

I just went there yesterday and as soon as all the information was done. Snap! She went write into the contract and money.Thank God we did not pay!! JOHN CASABLANCA IS A SCAM!!!!!WATCH OUT!!!!!!!

ninanina

Dec 20, 2014 #918941 Cincinnati, Ohio

sweetheart I am in the Casablanca program and I am doing pretty well these little scam stories are lies. I am graduating in febuary and I will be in the agency and going on auditions. so u shouldn't have listened to your parents or the internet because they are lying.

4 6 Reply

Apr 25 #976497

I am starting out in the entertainment industry. If you go to an audition and they talk about money and say you have to pay all this then it's a scam. I have an amazing agent. The first thing agents do is see your talent. Make sure you are serious and responsible with your time life and money. No agent with ask you to pay money upfront. Agents get money from you only when you get jobs. If an agent is going to even take interest in you then you won't be needing classes. Before going to an agent to become an actress or model you will have already needed to be trained and know what your doing. Agents won't come to you like that. You go to them. Or if they see you in a film then they would come to you.

anon

Jul 08, 2014 #837592

I had found them online and filled out the form and every thing ,the next morning the called me and told me to come in the next day for an " audition " and they would see if i need classes or not .If not then they would put me to "work"should i go ? because im really looking for agencies that will take a teen with braces.

ninanina

Dec 20, 2014 #918948 Cincinnati, Ohio

they take anybody I wish u the best of luck because they areb doing great with me and they will with you too braces or not

Jul 08, 2014 #837496

I have done the same thing in Brookfield Wisconsin. Except I didn't cancel within 3 days! So now i'm really hoping that they don't still charge me. What a waste of time.

Good girl 333

Jun 27, 2014 #832805

Is there still away to quit John Casablanca? Even if I do not pay it anymore?

gdudhdush

Jun 04, 2014 #823703

That's bull cuz I went to audition and it was completely different and its not a scam because I have a lot of friends that has graduated from the school and they are doing alot of stuff with it

8 5 Reply
Douglas

Jul 10, 2014 #838566 Raleigh, North Carolina

So true, I'm lucky enough to be in a state where movie filming and acting is one of the top 10 locations! And because of my variety of skills, they said that that will help me in the future and a model and actor

1 2 Reply
liza

Jul 11, 2014 #839465

I agree I was scouted and they said they may call me. It took a few weeks and I came in for an interview, not an audition, and while I was there before I signed the contract I looked and found they are a certified by Better Business Bureau. After finishing classes I signed fully onto the agency and in the last 3 months since I signed on I have been called for two jobs! I have also met many successful models and actors. I think the thing is that to get jobs you need to be noticed by the agency and stand out. I have had a great experience with John Casablanca's Connecticut. They were not cheep or trashy in any way and have always been very nice and helpful. And just to add on the Connecticut agency is the second bet John Casablancas in the USA, just thought id add that in.

5 2 Reply
BBB Employee

Aug 06, 2014 #852201

I know for a fact this is a fake positive review. As a matter of policy the Better Business Bureau will not give accreditation to modeling agencies, it doesn't even matter if they are a good agency or a bad agency. They simply won't give accreditation to modeling agencies. They MAY get a letter grade, but they can not get BBB accreditation. So the post claiming that JB is certified by the BBB, that is a blatant lie. Conclusion: planted fake positive post.

6 0 Reply

Dec 13, 2013 #757827

I had the exact same thing happen to me in Miami!!! The agency told me the same BS story. But DID NOT notify me that I had 3 days to cancel the contract. In fact, they had me sign what she called an application. No use of the word "contract" was ever used. Come to find out 5 months later I get a phone call from a collection agency saying I owe in full $2,400!!! I asked for the communication to be sent to me regarding the 3 day time line to cancel. They could not produce this for me. And now I have a collection agency after me.

I called the office, spoke with the VP who you might think would be understanding as I did not attend a single class and they already took over $300.00 from me and ZERO services rendered. The VP came to an agreement with me that she will accept 50% of total owed minus fees. She verbally contracted this offer over the phone and immediately I received an email stating that I had the two options of a lump sum or monthly payments.

I understand that I signed a contract and it might be an obligation to pay. So, being the repectfull person I am I offered to pay the proposed monthly payments. I responded to the email as per the request to do so with my decision. Soon there after I received an email saying this offer is no null and void and referred me to a collection agency to collect the full $2,400!!!!!

JOHN CASABLANCA IS A COMPLETE SCAM. DO NOT TRUST THIS UNLESS YOU ARE A VERY YOUNG KID WITH RICH PARENTS THAT IS
... Show more

2 1 Reply
Caroline

Nov 30, 2013 #750392

I thought that at first as well. That is was a total scam and it was no use for me at all! Actually, it's one of the most greatest training places I have ever been to I have already graduated and i'm getting picked in an agency in Wilmington called Maultsby. Furthermore if you don't have the specific training or an agent it would be really hard to get in the business world. You HAVE to have a resamay and also a head shot or body shot. (which ever one preferred)you can't get that around the block. Yes, indeed I do think 2000$ is a little on the pricey side but once you think about it. Doing what you love isn't that totally worth it? The people there are a little too professional but if you take it seriously and show them whos boss and that you're totally up for this and can act professional at the same time. The people there warm up to you and are actually the most sweetest people you'll meet. Although this is in Cary, I really like JC. I think you can really go far if you work hard and really have a passion for it. :)

2 3 Reply

Jan 14, 2014 #773328

So you do have to pay even if you have talent ?

Great

Jul 04, 2014 #835926 Boston, Massachusetts

If you have a great look and talent they pick you and they take care of everything. If you a wannabe you pay.

1-20 of 171 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.