John Casablanca Modeling - John Casablancas IS a scam!!!

Feb 05, 2010
review #170209

well I had been thinking about getting into acting or modeling. I sent out my picture to a few of the local talent agencies. The very next day I recieved an email from john casablancas. The email said they were currently looking for new models or potential actors and that I should contact them immediately. The very same day they called my cell phone. I dont know how they got my number, but I was excited that an agency had interest in me so quickly. They said they wanted me to come the very next day for an audition. I was so excited I couldnt refuse. It seemed like just the opportunity I was looking for.

So the next day I got all nervous thinking it was going to be a bigtime audition. When I got in there nobody was at the desk. Then finally this trashy looking lady came up to the desk and didnt even acknowledge me. She picked up the phone and totally ignored me. I was expecting for them to be waiting on me to get there. Then finally she hung up the phone and told me to sign in. Apparantly I wasnt the only one auditioning. I filled out a couple forms and she gave me a 5 sentance script that I was supposed to practice. I said "thats it?! seems really short?". At the top of the page it said "for ages 12+". I am 25 years old. So I waited for fifteen minutes and in the meantime about 20 people showed up for the audition. Most of them were little kids and their parents. So since I was first to get there I was first in line to go through the "audition". So first they lead me over to a "photo room" which was basically nothing but an empty room with a backdrop and a table in it. A "professional photographer" was going to take a few shots of me. I was suprised when she pulled out the camera and didnt even use a tripod. She then told me to get into a very odd pose and took 4 pictures. They looked like something I could have done at home.

Next quickly I was rushed to the second room. In this room was a cheap wooden runway and they were playing cheap britney spears music in the background. I sat there and practiced my script with all the other people until the "agent" came in. She was accompanied by two other young sleezy looking girls that were supposedly a professional movie director, a runway model, and a *** black guy that was supposedly a model also but his face looked like rocky road. So at this point I was suspicious, but the thought of my dreams coming true were too strong to have any doubt about anything. So they told me to first walk the runway, which I did. Then they had me read the script, which I did an amazing job at. So everyone else did the same thing and after everybody was done, she said that there would be people who wouldnt be called back. She said that they would need me to come back the very next day to discuss starting a modeling career. I was so excited.

So the very next day I went back and they still hardly even knew my name. The "agent" took me in her office and was very nice talking to me. She started talking about all the possibilities I could have, everything I could become, and how much money i was going to make. I got so excited that they were interested in "investing in me". But then she started talking about I would need to take classes before they could start marketing me and making money. I then found out that this would be a 10 month process and the course would end up costing $2200. She said that if I wanted to get started in my career that I would need to go and get $340 out of my bank account to get the registration and pay for books/supplies. I told her I just didnt have all that money. Then she said I could just pay $100 to get the registration done, and I could pay the other $240 on the day of the first class. Foolishly I agreed and paid her $100 cash. I didnt like the idea of paying her, but I though it would eventually pay off in the long run if I could find some good modeling jobs. My parents told me they were scamming me, but I couldnt accept that possibility.

After thinking about it I got online and did a search. I didnt even get the whole name typed in before "john casablancas scam" popped up in the search field. So I clicked on it and my dreams suddenly fell through the roof. I saw about a hundred scam stories. I immediately felt cheated and realized that everything my parents had said was true. I couldnt feel any stupider in my whole life. So today I went right up there and as soon as I walked in the office the "agent" said "let me guess you changed your mind?". She already knew what I was there for like she had already seen it a million times. I told her I wanted to cancel the contract. She said I would have to make it in writing so I took a piece of paper and wrote it down. She said that they had already took my money and made in into a cashiers check paying john casablancas. So then I would have to wait up to 45 days before I would recieve a refund from the corporate office. I asked her why because I had just given her the money not even 24 hours ago. She said it was because they dont keep any cash in the office at any time. She told me that I "completely wasted her time yesterday", and seemed like she wanted to argue with me or something about it. I dont even know this lady, I just wanted to cancel it and get out. So she made a copy of the cancellation letter and gave it to me, then said "goodbye". I never felt so cheated and violated in my whole life. Im just glad I got out before I gave them any more money, and that I cancelled the contract within the unusually short 3 day period so they cant keep my money. As long as the money comes in ill be fine, but if it doesnt come within 45 days im going to file a lawsuit. I dont care if it is just $100 dollars. A REAL modeling agency sent me an email yesterday and wants to speak with me soon. I did a full background check on them. So that makes me feel better. I will become something one day. JOHN CASABLANCAS IS A COMPLETE SCAM!!!! DO NOT EVER SPEND ONE SINGLE DIME THERE!!!!!! I WILL HAVE MY REVENGE JOHN CASABLANCA!!!!

9ca3465
Had an experience with John Casablanca Modeling?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
anon

Jul 08

I had found them online and filled out the form and every thing ,the next morning the called me and told me to come in the next day for an " audition " and they would see if i need classes or not .If not then they would put me to "work"should i go ? because im really looking for agencies that will take a teen with braces.

Jul 08

I have done the same thing in Brookfield Wisconsin. Except I didn't cancel within 3 days! So now i'm really hoping that they don't still charge me. What a waste of time.

Good girl 333

Jun 27

Is there still away to quit John Casablanca? Even if I do not pay it anymore?

gdudhdush

Jun 04

That's bull cuz I went to audition and it was completely different and its not a scam because I have a lot of friends that has graduated from the school and they are doing alot of stuff with it

5 3 Reply
Douglas

Jul 10 Raleigh, North Carolina

So true, I'm lucky enough to be in a state where movie filming and acting is one of the top 10 locations! And because of my variety of skills, they said that that will help me in the future and a model and actor

liza

Jul 11

I agree I was scouted and they said they may call me. It took a few weeks and I came in for an interview, not an audition, and while I was there before I signed the contract I looked and found they are a certified by Better Business Bureau. After finishing classes I signed fully onto the agency and in the last 3 months since I signed on I have been called for two jobs! I have also met many successful models and actors. I think the thing is that to get jobs you need to be noticed by the agency and stand out. I have had a great experience with John Casablanca's Connecticut. They were not cheep or trashy in any way and have always been very nice and helpful. And just to add on the Connecticut agency is the second bet John Casablancas in the USA, just thought id add that in.

1 1 Reply
BBB Employee

Aug 06

I know for a fact this is a fake positive review. As a matter of policy the Better Business Bureau will not give accreditation to modeling agencies, it doesn't even matter if they are a good agency or a bad agency. They simply won't give accreditation to modeling agencies. They MAY get a letter grade, but they can not get BBB accreditation. So the post claiming that JB is certified by the BBB, that is a blatant lie. Conclusion: planted fake positive post.

1 0 Reply

Dec 13, 2013

I had the exact same thing happen to me in Miami!!! The agency told me the same BS story. But DID NOT notify me that I had 3 days to cancel the contract. In fact, they had me sign what she called an application. No use of the word "contract" was ever used. Come to find out 5 months later I get a phone call from a collection agency saying I owe in full $2,400!!! I asked for the communication to be sent to me regarding the 3 day time line to cancel. They could not produce this for me. And now I have a collection agency after me.

I called the office, spoke with the VP who you might think would be understanding as I did not attend a single class and they already took over $300.00 from me and ZERO services rendered. The VP came to an agreement with me that she will accept 50% of total owed minus fees. She verbally contracted this offer over the phone and immediately I received an email stating that I had the two options of a lump sum or monthly payments.

I understand that I signed a contract and it might be an obligation to pay. So, being the repectfull person I am I offered to pay the proposed monthly payments. I responded to the email as per the request to do so with my decision. Soon there after I received an email saying this offer is no null and void and referred me to a collection agency to collect the full $2,400!!!!!

JOHN CASABLANCA IS A COMPLETE SCAM. DO NOT TRUST THIS UNLESS YOU ARE A VERY YOUNG KID WITH RICH PARENTS THAT IS
... Show more

Caroline

Nov 30, 2013

I thought that at first as well. That is was a total scam and it was no use for me at all! Actually, it's one of the most greatest training places I have ever been to I have already graduated and i'm getting picked in an agency in Wilmington called Maultsby. Furthermore if you don't have the specific training or an agent it would be really hard to get in the business world. You HAVE to have a resamay and also a head shot or body shot. (which ever one preferred)you can't get that around the block. Yes, indeed I do think 2000$ is a little on the pricey side but once you think about it. Doing what you love isn't that totally worth it? The people there are a little too professional but if you take it seriously and show them whos boss and that you're totally up for this and can act professional at the same time. The people there warm up to you and are actually the most sweetest people you'll meet. Although this is in Cary, I really like JC. I think you can really go far if you work hard and really have a passion for it. :)

Jan 14

So you do have to pay even if you have talent ?

Great

Jul 04 Boston, Massachusetts

If you have a great look and talent they pick you and they take care of everything. If you a wannabe you pay.

Sophie

Jul 23, 2013 Cambridge, Minnesota

It is a scam and I fell for it years ago. They make you go through the classes but they don't help you after you finish. Once they have your money, there is no representation.
They wanted me to take my son to New York, but wanted $4000 first. People, be very cautious.

Derek

Jul 18, 2013 Rocky Mount, North Carolina

It only appears to be a scam for people who have no acting experience... They don't ask for money or anything until after you have done your audition and they evaluate from their if you have had acting experience and if they feel you do not meet the requirements but feel you are 88% there they give you the option to take the classes. The scam is on you if you think say "Oh I think I want to act" and put out a application because as any other career in the world, your not going to get the job with no experience... John Casablanca's is Authentic to those who have the talent :)

3 1 Reply

Aug 12, 2013

Well, you know what. I have talent. Everyone at John Casablanca's told me that. They practically begged for me to register because of my "amazing talent". I was the only one from my audition to be hit up for a meeting right away. After a long talk they hit my dad up for money. Of course they recommended the most expensive plan, classes for life and free classes for life for another friend/family member etc. So my dad forked out $1,000 dollars for this plan. For a long time, I was very happy. I was learning about the acting/modeling world and was even upgraded to the adult class because of my high level of talent. I had so many talented friends and was very happy. I even gave up a modeling job just so i wouldn't miss my class. Then we shot reels for our acting profile on some website they strongly recommended, which was fun. I got to write and act my own commercial of sorts. Then they hit us up for money again to buy the reel. I was heart broken. The plan we had payed $1,000 dollars had promised all supplies and extras included in the total price. But apparently they had a change in policy, requiring that we pay for the reel to be allowed on our profile because they "professionally shot it". But it was shot in a room with a white back drop, some low profile, not very talented, photographer who shot with a cheap video camera. I missed the reel critique class for a modeling job, and had a retake scheduled. During my retake i had to rewrite and re-shoot my reel. Then my next... Show more

1 day ago

Then what's the point of recruiting people with no look and no talent? Oh yeah, their money.

Carrie

Jul 17, 2013 Phoenix, Arizona

I have been a model and actress for over 20 years and yes this is a "scam" if they mis-represent themselves as an agency if they are really a "school".
Agents need pictures and a demo(acting reel) to show clients and usually they will provide that service at 'some' cost to you. (Which should be disclosed at meeting). Usually there is no "Signing" of a contract if there is no such work agreed upon....meaning you were selected after an audition. A FORM of contract is signed with an agent agreeing on percentages they will receive if you are employed by the clients they sent you to.
But yes......you should never have to pay an agent up front,any monies. And if they feel that you need acting classes then you get those classes if you wish to....or you don't get the work. In other words they will suggest you do your part to enable employment. Nobody is going to sign someone off the street to do heart surgery without a degree.
Some of it is common sense and some of it is irresponsible of the so called "agency" to just pop up and say how great you are..here give me money lol.

Somehow this agency found my phone number as well and i traced it back to a time when my mother submitted a photo to "The Childrens Place" for a so called "sweepstakes". Believe it or not it is not very hard to pose as an agent to get information on people and "recruit'. It is sad to prey on children and their families as well.

Anyway.......do your research
... Show more

1 0 Reply
Daniela

Jul 14, 2013 Denver, Colorado

I had an audition on July 13th . I LOVED it . It was such an amazing experience and they had said that they were really interested in me . They seemed really nice! They told me to call back around 3:15 and so I did . BARB asked how my family was doing in terms of financially . I told her not very good and she said that the classes were up to 2,000 DOLLARS . I thought my dream had finally became true, but then I got that call . TOTAL SCAM .

Beth

Jul 11, 2013 Nashville, Tennessee

Yeah, this school was horrible to me i must say. First off I drive about 3 hours to get to this place, I walk in there's no one at the desk so i wait for 10 - 15 mins. FINALLY, someone sees me & gives me some papers to fill out & it gets to a part where it says if your not 18 or older have your parents sign for you. Well... My mom just had back surgery & couldn't come with me so my boyfriend went instead. We ask them man at the desk what do i do sense i wasn't old enough & my boyfriend isn't my parent? Well the man goes back in the room & a woman comes back out with him & tells me " Well your mom said she's be here with you" & I'm thinking my mom just had back surgery she couldn't and wouldn't say that! Soo i look blankly at the woman & she says next " either you re- schedule & come back with your mom or wait til your 18! " ( Rudely) So, I'm just a little shocked sense they called me & ask for me to have a audition with them!! All I'm saying is i wasn't treated right by them, & they didn't think about my situation, & also lied on my mom. They really need to learn to treat people with respect! I'll never see them again for another audition!

Jun 28, 2013

John Casablancas is not a scam. I'm currently attending their school in Brentwood and the first thing they told me when I went in for an interview was that if you don't have any acting experience, you have to take the classes before they give you a contract. They said that they NEVER train anyone unless they are willing to offer a contract, but you have to know what you're doing. They're not *** enough to randomly hand out contracts to any random person who wants to be a model. Everyone's really nice there and all of the teachers are professionals in the modeling and acting business. There may be scams with people trying to mimic them, however John Casablancas is a legitimate modeling and acting SCHOOL, not an agency.

1 1 Reply

1-20 of 163 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about John Casablanca Modeling.
Filing a new complaint about
×