John Casablanca Modeling - BEWARE of being MISLED at John Casablancas

The bottom line is that John Casablancas Modeling Agency misleads parents/Guardians and their children.

My experience:

Last summer my neice Victoria from Mississippi was visiting me and was in my care for 2 months of her summer break. She is 11 years old. As we were driving in the car one day, she happened to hear the radio advertisement that mentioned that John Casablancas were in search for the next Hannah Montana-type child star and were holding auditions in oakbrook Illinois which was only 35 mins from me. Victoria has always shown intrest in wanting to pursue this type of future so she took it upon herself to call the 800 number from her cell phone. She had no luck reaching anyone and never even left a message. However, Later on Victoria gets a call back from JC's saying they saw they missed her call and I saw her eyes light up with such excitement. She passed me her phone and they asked me to set up an audition time. I was skeptical therefore I asked if there would be any fees or anything I need to know about. They told me the dress code and the way they made it seem to us was that they were holding an audition to pick a child for an actual new image being created for television. This is how they mislead everyone. I went out and bought my neice a nice outfit according to their specifications. Victoria was so excited that she could not sleep and was just so anxious.

We go to audition appointment which went well, they called wanting her to do the second audition. They even told me over the phone that they liked her so much that she was the first child picked for the second audition! So, I go out and buy Victoria another outfit and shoes thinking that this is her little dream and I want to give her the best shot possible and may sure she looked perfect. BTW, I did get permission from Victorias mother to pursue this and her mother also spoke with the agency and confirmed the same information with me and understandings.

At the 2nd audition they take her in one room for her actual audition and they make me wait in someones office. After telling Victoria that she did great and that she has a ton of talent...they send her back to me with an office lady to the office in which I am sitting. Right in front of my neice which is estactic that she did a great job...they give me a folder telling me we need to sign her up for classes. These classes are around $2,000 and were like 3 months long. They knew she was only temporarily visiting me so why would they even have wasted my time to show up if this whole thing was about classes? They knew she wouldn't be around to take any classes. So, anyway...they said if I signed her up for classes today then Victoria could come back for another audition which would be in front of a talent scout flying in from California. However...this talent scout was coming in a matter of days so what would it matter if she signed up for classes or not because it would not affect her performance for that audition. I started seeing HUGE red flags at this point. They also told me that I would need to sign her up for classes that night in order to get her on that audition list. So I started asking questions... I said what I want to know is if these auditions are for a specific part/look being pursued as the advertisement on the radio made it seem or if these auditions are just to promote and fill your classes within your private school? Of course we all know that one does need training to become a famous actor or model, however, the difference is that John Casablanca is advertising a search for the next Hannah Montana-type actor or model...they are NOT advertising their school or their classes. This misleads children to begging their parents to take them in thinking they are just looking for that one lucky-duck kid with the right look. They advertise as if it is a contest to be won.

So I see all the arguing about if John Casablancas is a scam or not. Well all I can say is that I do not doubt that if I pay the $2,000 my neice would have went to some type of training classes however they need to advertise their school on the up & up as a school. They should not be allowed to consider these auditions when really they are preselecting the kids that they want to be in their school...which I believe is discrimination. If an ugly kid does not get a call back from their 1st audition, then that is JC's way of not offering classes based on what they have already seen of the child, right?

Anyhow...a stop needs to be put on all the misleading intentions John Casablancas is posing upon us and our children with misleading advertisements & misinformation to get our children into their office and to put us parents/guardians on the spot for something we are not expecting and putting the adult under pressure. Once it was clear what this all was really about, and I decided not to sign up for classes... I then had to contend with my beautiful neice which was in tears thinking that she was missing out on her one big chance for her dream. Very very sad & very very pissed. Please spare you child of this experience.

More Review Details

Helpful? 71 Yes 71 146 No 146
Had the same issue 21 Yes 21
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 18 #1009160

Is this an agency as well?

Jul 11 #1006348

This is a lie because I just signed with an Agency and John Casablanca's already send me A thousands of commercials auditions and I made three of them so this is just a lie

Sep 06, 2014 #866841 Chicago, Illinois

I recently went there and they didn't ask me to buy any outfit

Jul 06, 2014 #836476 Broadview, Illinois

I too played the fool for John Casablancas Modeling Agency. Unfortunately, I paid for the classes and my daughter graduated and received certificates etc. This was 2011; however in 2013 I was contacted by someone claiming to work for them because they wanted more money saying that there were other expenses and additional fees for her time there. I asked why after two years have passed am I being contacted now. I have paid them in full yet my daughter was to receive auditions and maybe had three or four and no call backs that part just didn't happen at all. I think my daughter and I both learned valuable lessons from this scam. I am posting this response hoping that other parents save their children from this disappointment without spending large sums of money.
I have been contacted again by another company claiming that my daughters name was referred to them yet I cannot get any specifics from them. They are so willing to meet with her for yet what they call an audition but what they don't know is that I have already been there and done that so I am well educated on what to look for now and plan to exploit them once I have the proof I need without spending my money this time.
Beware its not just John Casablancas misleading people there are others out there selling their schools via auditions. This is a real life scandal that needs someone like Olivia Pope to tell the world what is really going on and save the people from being victims.

Jul 02, 2014 #834776

THAT IS NOT TRUE I work with jc they are nice people if you hear it on the radio and you know that your child has no experience then u should know your gonna have classes I just signed my contract last week very nice classes and people they have to prepare u to get ready the classes are only to show u how to dress for certain events and walk I'm heels also eat in camera they are not mislead or a scam they are good if you or your child is good then it wouldn't be any classes u were not mislead u are just dumb

2 3 Reply

Dec 10, 2013 #755771 Dallas, Texas

I have an adult son who's been supporting himself as a performer for over 20 years, plus a 12-year-old who signed with a talent agent a year ago and is currently shooting a lead role in a new movie -- he's also in a mini-series airing this week on cable. To me, it seems that the problem is that there is often a gap between what parents aqnd kids think they're paying for, and what the companies actually sell.

Here's a link to an article on my blog that, I hope, explains how to tell the difference between a scam and a legitimate school or listing service. Hopefully, it will help some parents make a good decision for their child.

2 0 Reply

Nov 04, 2013 #737403 Miami, Florida

omg of COURSE its a scam...on an interview they tell you that the entire school is designed to help kids with their SELF ESTEEM...they prey on people's hopes and dreams. They say most of these children don't even have the potential or talent to make it but they play on people's HOPES to become famous and make it big...they say this to people interviewing for SALES REPS at JC.. it's a terrible place...beware...

Oct 22, 2012 #558899

The Same *** my daughter & I experienced here in Denver on this past Saturday morning, but instead by another one of Goran Djenadic's companies called Casting Hub!!! TOTAL SCAM!!!!!

Dec 15, 2012 #582421 New York, New York

My daughter auditioned for casting hub this morning and we are waiting for a call back. We have been looking up many different things finding out many different complaints and compliments. So i was wondering if you actually went into the agency and actually paid the money or did you just turn it down when you heard about the money?

Oct 18, 2012 #556840

I am sorry to hear of your experience at JC. I know that at first it sounds like a huge scam. Yes, it is just a school and yes, the commercials are terribly misleading, but as a student graduate there myself I opened up as a person and fell in love with the industry. No, JC doesnt not guarantee any success but they do help you through the process of helping you find an agency. The classes provided at JC help you improve your skills and understand what to do and not do in the industry. You have auditions once to twice a month. I grew up watching people grow into stars. For example, Keenan Cahill or Marirose Weldon went to JC. It's an amazing experience, I promise.

1 0 Reply

Jul 28, 2013 #688919 Penney Farms, Florida

you must work 4 there company your full of sh#t

1 0 Reply

Aug 31, 2012 #536405

Thank you for taking the time to post all of this info. You saved me and my daughter a lot of time, money and disappointment. If a company is reputable, they are honest about the product they represent. JC is not doing that.

Debbi in Chicago

Mar 25, 2011 #265077

John Casablanca is not the only one pulling this type of scam. I'm a professionally trained actor and I have seen this soooooo many times. It really *** me off. I've taught acting before and worked at a talent agent. The best way for a child to enter on-camera acting that is paid is to go to a college that teaches filmmaking and check out their audition boards. You can probably land an unpaid role after a few tries and learn on the job. If you like it, THEN invest in on-camera acting lessons. The filmmakers you get to know can usually suggest some qualified acting studios in your area that won't charge anywhere near as much as a place such as Casablanca's. Casablanca's may have some good teachers, but there are many good acting teachers, but with that slimy approach, I'd stay away if it was me. In fact, I found this page because I was checking them out because of a help wanted ad they were running for acting instructors and I wanted to know how legit they were, so thanks for the warning, I think I'll pass.

2 0 Reply
a person who was also mislead

Nov 04, 2010 #207752

if you pay the money one step at a time and miss some payments they will not give you a chance,and if you miss a amount of days they will make you pay for the whole thing with out having to make up all your classes,and think about it who have you ever seen that got famous over john casablancas they would have been on tv

Jul 02, 2014 #834778

Keke Palmer Tyra banks Cameron Diaz and more

THE REAL TRUTH.What Clients ar

Sep 21, 2010 #192391 Omsk, Omsk

Chicago Testimonials
Being from Los Angeles, we see tons of talent and showcases with children , young actors and (some older ones thrown in there too for good measure), all the time. After seeing Carmela's John Casablanca's well-trained talent in Chicago, I wonder where this dynamo has been all these years!-----literally, training the talent! They were a breath of fresh air for us, especially knowing that someone cares enough to do their very best! Those of us industry professionals REALLY do appreciate all the hard work that it takes to groom a new talent into a viable sellable commodity for the various facets of Sho-Business. Looking forward to seeing more of these young people here and on the screen! Thank you again, Jean and Kathy, Page Management, Los Angeles/SanFrancisco, Calif.
Awesome! That is the word to describe JC-Chicago. We are continually amazed with the professionalism of all of the JC actors. We have seen the JC actors at scouting weekends in Chicago, always totally prepared, always totally professional. We are impressed with their training. We have already discovered one young actor, Jonah Crosby. Jonah booked his first Los Angeles audition as an M.P. Management client, after CeCe Cline and Cassiopeia Productions auditioned him. This truly goes to show how tremendous the training is at JC. Carmela, Director of Education at JC, truly cares about her actors. One great school. One great director.
I can honestly say that every actor I met
... Show more

Aug 11, 2009 #65596

u never went through with it so you wouldn't know if it's a scam or not.don't talk trash if you have no proof or idea what you're actually talking about.your little angel niece probably needs plenty of classes and training.I'm sure she's not AMAZING right off the bat.and of course they want money.duhh.of course you have to pay for're quite foolish and full of it.don't bash a perfectly good and legitimate company because you're just cheap and didn't want to shell out the cash it takes to perfect your niece.they've given me so many opportunities and hooked me up in so many ways,and very soon everyone will no my name.

0 2 Reply

Apr 23, 2009 #56573

I am a modle for JC. THe money that we have to pay is to pay there teachers who tea ch us for 6 months it is a very good deal compared to other people. JC actulley stays with you and helps you through it. This is a cery touch buisness and this modling agency is VERY big. After you pay the 2,oo dollers you don't have to pay anything again. It may of seemed like a rip off and a scam and i know that when yuo hear you have to pay money that it is a scam. But JC actully gives you classes. Its worth it and im happy im in it. But tell your neice that she should still follow her dreams.

Mar 18, 2009 #54079

You can tell after reading all the complaints that John Casablancas is obviously misleading people. The comments from those saying it is not a scam are obviously employees of JC's...because obviously you are not going to be on here defending John Casablancas if you are a customer with no complaints...because if you were then there would be no need for you to be on this site. So people, ignore all the comments defending John Casablacas modeling agency...they are obviously affiliated with JC's. John Casablancas modeling agency does mislead consumers, save yourself from a bad experience. I too had the same experience as Brenda, April, Michael and Johnny. Thankfully I was smart enough to identify this and walk away before I had money invested.

Mar 18, 2009 #54072

Michael & Johnny,
Thanks sharing your stories...hopefully this will help other parents/guardians that read these make an educated decision for thier children!

1-20 of 34 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.